You may recall that I like to make cake for everyone when someone has a birthday… we are treating Sweetie’s ‘Gotcha’ day as her birthday… so I needed to make cake!
Sweetie *LOVES* bananas so obviously making Banana Cake was the way to go… unfortunately she is allergic to maple pollen so just to be on the safe side, I substituted agave for the maple syrup in the recipe… and it turned out really well.
As you can see from the slideshow below, she loves it! We really like our version (with walnuts) too!
Banana Cake, For Me, You, and Puppy Too! Version 2.0
adapted from The Peaceful Palate
you will need:
- 9 ” springform pan, lightly oiled
- 4″ springform pan, lightly oiled
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup oil (I used 1/3 cup applesauce + 1 Tbsp. canola oil)
- 2/3 cup agave
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- *** 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans) [for humans ONLY]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Next add oil, water, and vanilla, mix to combine.
- Next add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- Now the fun part… Pour about 1/4 of the batter into the prepared 4″ springform pan. Set aside.
- To the rest of the batter, add walnuts, mix. Pour batter into prepared 9″ springform pan.
- Place both cake pans into the oven, bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Checking on the small cake after 15 minutes, my small cake required 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes, then remove from springform pan and place on cooling racks until completely cooled.
- Cut puppy cake into fourths. (Side note: I will give her only 1/4 of the cake a day.)
- Get camera and take pictures of puppy eating her portion (1/4 of small cake). 🙂
Until next time…