Every once in awhile, ideas come together to make a great meal…
Within a few days of each other; my taste-tester had made a comment about wanting chili, I had picked up some bread bowls, and I had seen a package of broccoli slaw…
This is what was created from those snippets of ideas… and it was awesome!
☀ olive oil
☀ 1 onion, chopped
☀ pinch of salt
☀ 1 bell pepper, chopped
☀ 2 cloves garlic, minced
☀ 1 Tbsp. chili powder
☀ 1 tsp. cumin
☀ 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
☀ 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
☀ freshly ground black pepper, to taste
☀ 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
☀ 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
☀ 1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
☀ 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
☀ a dash or two of chipotle chili powder, optional
☀ a squirt or three of ‘rooster sauce’, optional (Sriracha sauce)
- Saute onion with olive oil and a pinch of salt in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add garlic and bell pepper, saute until tender.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and black pepper; saute for a minute, then add crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer uncovered about 15 minutes.
- Add kidney, red, and pinto beans, simmer until beans are heated through. About 10 minutes.
- ** The longer you let this simmer, the better it gets. If you have the time, turn the heat down low, cover, and let it simmer much longer. Keeping an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn.
- Taste for seasonings, if you’d like it to have a bit more kick, add the chipotle chili powder and sriracha sauce.
Once the chili is done… prepare the Avocado salad…
☀ 1 avocado, ripe, chopped
☀ 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
☀ juice of 1/2 a lime
☀ a dash or two of chili powder
Combine all ingredients.
You will also need:
☀ bread bowls
☀ a bag of broccoli slaw
Then assemble the meal…
- I realized that a bread bowl each would be too much food for us, so I cut a bread bowl in half. Then I removed some of the center to make room for the chili.
- Pour the chili onto the bread bowl.
- Top with a handful of broccoli slaw.
- Top with a spoonful or two of avocado salad.
Until next time…