I met a woman on Saturday who told me about some events here in San Diego that she thought I might be interested in… one was the Sandcastle Competition and the other was a Lemon Festival… unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend either of them. But I wish I could have seen the sandcastle competition!
But it got me to thinking… if there is a lemon festival around here every year, then lemons must be something that grows around here, and if the festival was last weekend, then it must be lemon season, right?
I don’t know for sure, but I’m going with it. When I went to the grocery store the other day, I saw that they had locally grown organic lemons, so I picked up a few. But then, what do I make with them?
I used to be an avid watcher of Everyday Italian on the Food Network, and Giada was always talking about how much she loved lemons and had a lemon tree. I have two of Giada’s books, so I thought that would be a great place to start. Oddly of the two books, only one book had something with lemon and it was only one recipe… strange… she must have more recipes with lemons in her other books. Anyway… the one recipe was for Lemon Spaghetti… lucky for me, that was kind of what I was looking for.
So I took her recipe, halved the sauce and then veganized it, then added a few other ingredients… it turned out really good. Personally, I have a sensitive stomach, so I had to reduce the sauce, aka the oil content, but feel free to double the sauce if you’d like. 🙂
by Giada De Laurentiis,
veganized and slightly altered by nic – the auspicious squirrel
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- extra splash of olive oil (optional)
- splash of aji-mirin, to take the edge off the lemon (optional)
- Cook the pasta, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, whisk the oil and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce and the nutritional yeast.
- Add the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with lemon zest, chopped basil, sesame seeds and pine nuts.
I served it with a small simple salad of mixed greens, carrots, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews and balsamic vinaigrette. I had also baked a couple of potatoes, so I split one and gave each of us half topped with soy garden and pepper. It was awesome.
The star of the night, though, was the chocolate cake… did you have any doubts? It was the first cake (magic chocolate cake) I’ve made in this apartment’s oven. 🙂 And it turned out spectacular. I served it with soy milk. 🙂
Oh, and yes, I totally did have chocolate cake for breakfast today. 😛
Leftovers of the lemon spaghetti were very good as well, I heated it only enough to take the chill off, about 20-30 seconds in the microwave. I served it with half a baked potato and some frozen broccoli… the broccoli when really well with the lemon, fyi. 😀
Until next time…