- dividing a recipe in half can sometimes be a real challenge…
for your convenience… lemon bar recipe halved:
(from vegan cookies invade your cookie jar, p.141) original measurement half ingredient crust 1 3/4 cups 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup
+ 2 Tbsp.
all-purpose flour 2/3 cup 1/3 cup powdered sugar 1/4 cup 2 Tbsp. corn starch 1 cup 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine filling 3 Tbsp. 1 1/2 Tbsp. agar agar flakes 1 1/3 cups 1/2 cup + scant 40ml
(or 1/2 cup + 8 tsp)
water 1 Tbsp. 1/2 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest 2/3 cup 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice 3 Tbsp. 1 1/2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder 1 1/4 cup 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. sugar 1/8 tsp dash turmeric 1/4 cup 2 Tbsp. soy milk
- meyer lemons have ALOT of seeds.
- when you scratch a lemon to see how it smells, if you don’t use it immediately, it looks like a cat got a hold of it.
- lemon bars are NOT low fat, you cannot eat these with the same reckless abandon as fun balls or protein bars.
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice is still ALOT of lemon juice… it took 1 med and 1 small lemon to get scant 1/3 cup.
- if you zest a lemon and then save it, it looks oxidized when you come back to it later… and well, i didn’t use it.
- seriously, what’s half of 1/8 tsp… a dash?
- half of 1/4 cup is 2 Tbsp.
- watching the lemon goo for the lemon bars come together is really neat, i love chemistry.
- when you live a life of chaos, you can do things like start lemon bars at 11:30pm and be ok with not being able to put them in the fridge until 1:30am. 😮
- five lemons really isn’t very many when you make dishes like lemon bars.
- why didn’t i make lemonade?
- i only have one meyer lemon left, but 3 more recipes i wanted to try.
- when you have a crazy schedule where the time of day means nothing, posting twice in your day is the same as posting on two different days for others.
- not worrying about capitalization is fun. (thanks janetha)
the lemon bars are in the fridge, they’ll take at least 3 hours to set… i’ll probably post pictures of it tomorrow.
until next time…