I have been craving peach cobbler for a while. Last week when I was going to make it, I didn’t have all the ingredients and opted to make a pie instead. I received more peaches and nectarines in this week’s produce box, so the craving was back. As usual, while making the dish, I ventured a little bit from the recipe… here’s what I did…
adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking
6 to 8 servings
Rating: Wow, Awesome
You will need one of the baking pans below:
8- or 9-inch square baking pan, at least 2-inches deep
8 x 10-inch rectangular baking pan, at least 2-inches deep
*I used an un-greased 8-inch square glass baking pan*
Cobbler Biscuit Dough
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice (not pictured)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (not pictured)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (not pictured)
5 Tbsp. nondairy butter, cold
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1 Tbsp. sugar, for sprinkling on top of dough
4 to 5 cups fruit, I used:
- 3 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 3 nectarines, peeled and sliced
- 10 oz. frozen blueberries (not pictured)
zest from 1/2 a lemon (or lime)
1/3 – 1/2 cup sugar ( I used less than 1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the biscuit dough, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cut in the nondairy butter, until the dough resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add the nondairy milk, stir until a sticky dough is formed. Set aside.
- For the filling, combine fruit, zest, flour, and sugar.
- Spread filling evenly in the baking dish.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough over the fruit. You can leave the dough in shapeless blobs on the fruit or spread it out.
- Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of sugar over the dough.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the juices have thickened slightly.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.